Friday, August 26, 2005


BLOG JUNKIE

Since discovering blogs I have become a bit of a blog junkie and the views and range of blogs really surprised me.
I started with The Spin Starts Here which is still my favourite. I read some of the blogs linked to TSSH but none really caught my attention. Then I stumbled on a mad Irishman called Twenty Major. I laughed out loud at some of the very funny posts from this very funny and well written blog.

I read one from America today that, for me, really showed the hypocrisy of America. It's appropriately called (Shoot, I'm not that clever) It's written by a 28 year old from Washington called Molly, who really believes that because she has a "black" friend then she can't be a racist. The following is lifted from her blog.

" I'm a liberal, white, Jewish girl from burbs of DC. That's how I identify.
Though this is also the same Dad that went out, and bought me a brand spanking new Cabbage Patch Kid (that was black), because he was so proud that I'd befriended the new girl (Foxxxy Love herself) in the neighborhood, who also happened to be black.Yes, the whole "Buy your kid a doll of a different race to promote unity" thing seems to come straight out of wishy-washy, crazy-liberal and hippie-endowed, movie script. But it really happened to me. And, well, it worked. And to prove it worked, Foxxxy and I won Twin Day that year.The specific area I'm from, for the county at least, was representative of a lot of different racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic groups. The high school Foxxxy and I attended had no racial majority, though it did have it's share of issues in the race-relation department. I despised everything about high school. None of it made sense to me. People didn't make sense to me. The social dynamic didn't make sense to me. When, for example, interracial dating became a hot issue during those years, I always wondered why it was such a big deal.Before anyone jumps on my case, I know, I know, I KNOW! I GET IT NOW!Foxxxy explained it to me one day in terms that made sense to my rainbow-coalition influenced way of thinking. But from my 15-year old point of view, which has partially crept it's way into my 28-year-old point of view, I just want the people I love to meet the people that best suit them. And I don't think that similar race or religion necessarily qualifies that. This from the girl who has dated two Jews in 28 years, as well as the sister of a secular brother-in-law. I think in terms of love.I really do sound like a hippie, don't I? I think I missed my calling. Peace, love, happiness, and all that stuff!Foxxxy is clearly one of the coolest chicks around. There are few people in this world I admire or respect more than her. And in high school when our friendship stunted a bit because of the whole race issue, it was hard to deal with. Now, this had everything to do with peer pressure from all sides, and nothing to do with our friendship in general. During those years she was busy combating racial stereotypes, being one of the "smart black kids that acted white", maintaining her cultural identity, AND kicking ass whenever someone picked on me. I guess she was doing what I was - just trying to survive and understand what the hell was going on. In the end, friendship prevailed.Foxxxy is on her way to being a Kickass Socially-Conscious, Black, Female, Lawyer. That's a big deal. I somehow ended up in the tech industry where gender lines are more clearly drawn than racial lines. So, I worry about different things. And I can be political. I can be political about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. I can be extremely political about gender roles in the workforce. But I also have to question whether taking an extreme point of view works for ME personally. It usually doesn't. But if I do feel strongly I will be happy to explain and, if necessary, defend my views. When it comes to the issue of race I do have a lot of opinions. One of those opinions is that I don't have a right to even open my mouth about certain things I know absolutely nothing about."

All of this to me shows that Molly believes that she personally is not a racist but for fuck sake, all she talks about is racial differences from her daddy buying her a black doll which resulted in her and her new black friend winning twin day to the differences at work being gender and not race and the fact that she seperates her boyfriends into jewish and non Jewish.
When she talks about her friend, she is a "BLACK lawyer". She even identifies herself as a JEWISH girl.
She talks about seing nothing wrong with interacial dating at high school and THEN says "I always wondered why it was such a big deal.Before anyone jumps on my case, I know, I know, I KNOW! I GET IT NOW!"
What does she get now?
Can you imagine an Australian blogger starting their blog with "I'm a Catholic, Labour voting moderate"?
My daddy bought me an Aboriginal doll and now my best friend is Ruby the only indigenous girl in school? I have dated 3 Catholics, 1 C of E and 2 Baptists.

Thank the fuck I live in Australia!!!!!

4 Comments:

At 12:07 pm, Blogger foxxxylove said...

Do you need a hug?

 
At 11:24 pm, Blogger Rudy Zarsov said...

I couldn't think of anything nicer

 
At 3:02 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does it matter to you that she's black?

 
At 7:28 am, Blogger Rudy Zarsov said...

She is a woman. The colour of her skin doesn't matter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home